Wednesday 11 May 2011

I am no Dickens...


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." -Opening Paragraph to A Tale of Two Cities

When I go to write anything I always think about Charles Dickens. He made it seem so effortless, so admirable, so frustrating.
If I could have started this blog off with a literary bang such as the opening paragraph to A Tale of Two Cities (above), and end it with the final sentence to A Tale of Two Cities (below), I would have exceeded my own expectations and most likely would have questioned every grade I received in English and writing classes. In reality, I am an ok writer, and an ok thinker, but what I lack in those departments I hope to make up for with some wit and subject matter.

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known. ” -Final sentence in A Tale of Two Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment