Friday 3 June 2011

Bahahahahaha....mann?

While I would like to say that I am long since removed from the American Political arena, I still find it interesting that there are speeches given at events that have little to do with policy and substantial information regarding how to move America in the right direction, but there is plenty of room for humour.  I like jokes, roasts, laughing...when appropriate.  As I watched clips from recent events over the past few months, I find it hard to laugh (seriously).  I expect more from civil servants, I expect them to act as a respectful and intelligent representative of the country, not the friends I go to pubs with.

Michele Bachmann, while I understand that hanging onto the ol' wise Palin's coattails must be challenging, the comments made were inappropriate to the actual context of the debt crisis in the US.  The debt is not cumulative to just democrats in office, it is from years of mismanagement of finances and budgets, taking on such things as wars, natural disasters and market failures, all of which are very hard to predict and to plan accordingly.  And to be completely honest, it's not even a good joke to begin with.


To me this is a global issue, if we make policy a joke and politicians characters from bad comedy movies how are other countries going to respect the American government when dealing with international affairs?

No comments:

Post a Comment